Ways to talk with children about COVID-19 and how to support families during these uncertain times.
Talking to Children about COVID-19:
- Children’s Comic – This comic explains COVID-19 in a child friendly way and with illustrations – https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/28/809580453/just-for-kids-a-comic-exploring-the-new-coronavirus
- Talking to kids about Coronavirus – This article from the Child Mind Institute talks about how to have a conversation with your child about COVID-19 – https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/
Supporting Families during this time:
- Helping families cope – The National Child Trauma Stress Network has put together this guide to assist in how to help families cope with these uncertain times. It also includes a chart that shows how children of different ages may feel during this time – http://centerforchildwelfare.org/kb/healthdental/GuidetoHelpingFamiliesCopeWithCoronavirus.pdf
- Psychological impact training – This 1-hour podcast talks about the psychological impact on your clients and communities (1 free CE is available) https://courses.clearlyclinical.com/bundles/free-coronavirus-pandemic-ceu-courses
- Helping clients navigate uncertainty – This short video presents a 3-step approach to assisting clients in uncertain times – https://www.nicabm.com/3-step-approach-for-managing-uncertainty/
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Resources
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio: 1-888-628-9454
- Crisis Text Line: Text “PA” to 741-741
- Veteran Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990
- Get Help Now Hotline (for substance use disorders): 1-800-662-4357
- Pennsylvania Sexual Assault Helpline: 1-888-772-7227
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-7233
Coping With Crisis: COVID-19 RESOURCE LIST FOR PARENTS AND PROFESSIONALS
Coping with Anxiety; A resource List for Students and Parents
Youth MOVE PA is hosting youth virtual drop-in meetings.
Youth MOVE PA has MOVED THE TIME of our Youth Virtual Drop-In Meetings to accommodate youth who may be attending school in some fashion!! We want to let you know and give you the updated information to share with everyone. Below is the updated information and zoom link to get on our call every Monday and Friday at our new time of 3:30pm to 4:30pm! Thank you and see you, your youth, and young adults you may know on our call!
Youth MOVE PA is excited to host a series of Youth Virtual Drop-In Meetings that are all about getting some social interaction, even if we can’t go out and do our normal activities like school, sports, going to the game store, or hanging out with our friends. We know how stressful it can be when our routine is messed up and it is just as frustrating when everyone is talking about the Coronavirus like there might be some sort of impending doom! We want to help you feel better about the outside world and the stress it may bring by meeting new people who join this group. The age range for these chats is from 14 to 29 years old and will be talking about ourselves, what we like, and be discussing a specific topic during each meeting. This gives us some distraction from the anxiety that can arise from being stuck inside all the time. Our meetings will be on Zoom every Monday and Friday from 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Meetings will continue to be moderated by Zack, Aaron, and Tristan and we look forward to chatting with you!
MEETING ID: 410-999-098 MEETING LINK: https://zoom.us/j/410999098